Student Association

Breaking down the candidates running in the spring SA election

Wendy Wang | Staff Photographer

For at-large assembly positions, 12 different seats are up for election.

UPDATED: 12:20 a.m. on March 24, 2022

The Syracuse University and SUNY-ESF’s Student Association has issued a list of candidates running in the spring election for the 66th session. The deadline to file a petition to run was March 1 and the election will take place April 4-8.

The Daily Orange has compiled a list of all candidates and provided information on the positions for which they are running.

President and vice president

SA President David Bruen will be running for reelection alongside new running mate Adia Santos. Initiatives they’re involved in include further expanding access to on-campus menstrual products and canceling student debt, according to their campaign Instagram account. Santos is also a member in the #NotAgainSU movement.

Maram Ahmed and Zikora Nman, both sophomores, will also be running for president and vice president, respectively. In their letter of intent, the two underline that their perspectives as Black women will help them communicate to university faculty about providing a better student experience for underrepresented groups at SU. Specific efforts listed in their letter also include making meal swipes cheaper and providing funding for the Black Student Union.

Breton MacNeil and Heidi Currin originally ran together in the race for SA president and vice president, though Currin withdrew her candidacy on Thursday, March 3. On March 23, SA announced that Sky Gorczynski is running as Currin’s vice president. In their letter of intent, they said they will put an emphasis on communication within the community to ensure that all student voices are heard. To accomplish this, they want to listen, have productive discussions and take action on behalf of the community. Certain areas they want to cover include the improvement of student life and academics.

Jordan Pierre and Lauren Gloster are also running for president and vice president, respectively. Pierre was originally running alongside a different vice presidential candidate, but Gloster took their place during the signature gathering process.

Assembly representatives

William Treloar, the current SA Speaker, is running to promote student involvement and create a more streamlined bill writing process, according to his letter of intent.

Other students who have been part of SA before and are running for at-large positions include Mariah Schwambach, Cassidy Snyder, Anna Ginelli, Kennedy Williams, Jack McCarty and Sukhleen Atwal.

Torryn Sales, Kaitlin LaRosa, Rachel Kern, Jadyn Washington and Karen Cooper are also running for an at-large position.

Some schools have fewer people running than available representative chairs — including the College of Arts and Sciences, the Newhouse School of Public Communications, the School of Information Studies and the College of Engineering and Computer Science.
The SA website doesn’t list any candidates running for assembly positions representing Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics, the College of Visual and Performing Arts and the School of Education.
For Newhouse, current SA historian Thomas Simmons and Richard Maj are running as candidates for two of the three available representative assembly positions.

Monica Jankovic is the only iSchool student running for the school’s two representative positions.

Oji Anderson and Xander Anis are the two School of Architecture students running for the school’s two representative assembly positions.

For the Martin J. Whitman School of Management, SA’s Vice President of Community and Government Affairs Noah Cordes, candidate Haig Chakamian and Dylan France are running for the three representative seats.

Candidates Linda Baguma, Aidan O’Connell and Sam Shenker are running for the three Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs representative seats.

Candidates Ralph Graham and Elliot Salas are the two students running for the three available ECS representative seats.

For the College of Arts and Sciences, SA’s Vice President of University Affairs Yasmin Nayrouz and candidates Alex Cheung, Emma Ferguson and Melanie Salas are running for four out of five of the available assembly seats.

Comptroller

Nyah Jones is the only candidate listed in the running for the position of SA Comptroller. She has spent three years on the association’s finance board. According to her letter of intent, Jones wishes to continue transparency in her position as well as adjust fiscal codes.

Clarification: While writing, the candidate list was not fully finalized. The timeline is in a Google Doc and is updated as needed. Once the list is completely finalized by the Student Association, The Daily Orange will update the article.

In addition, the article previously wrote that Heidi Currin was running as executive vice president alongside Breton MacNeil, who is running for executive president. Currin withdrew her candidacy on Thursday, March 3. A new executive vice president candidate on MacNeil’s ticket will be announced once the candidate list is finalized.