Club Guide 2018

Here are some SU music clubs that may be music to your ears

Sarah Allam | Illustration Editor

Whether you’re a bright-eyed freshman or a returning senior, one way to break up the tedium of school work is to join one of the more than 300 registered student organizations offered on the Syracuse University campus. For those who are more musically inclined, these are the clubs for you.

University Union

For more than 50 years, University Union has been a major part of student life at SU. As one of the largest clubs on campus, UU is responsible for putting on a variety of events for the student body throughout the year, including concerts, guest speakers and movie screenings. Notably, UU hosts Juice Jam, Mayfest and Block Party, often bringing to campus some of the biggest names in popular music, including SZA and Gucci Mane, who both performed at Block Party this spring.

All students are welcome to join UU, said Lauren Crimmins, a junior public relations and psychology dual major and UU’s public relations director, in an email. She said all they need is “a genuine interest in bringing entertainment the student body wants.”

“General members usually start off by helping our marketing team with flyering and putting up posters,” she said. “They then may be asked to work one of our shows such as Juice Jam or our Bandersnatch concert.”

From there, Crimmins said they can then join one of the nine boards the club has: cinemas, collaborations, concerts, design, marketing, performing arts, productions, public relations and social media.

Whatever students decide to do in the wide-ranging organization, Crimmins said UU is “always looking for more passionate students.”

20 Watts

Started in 2011, 20 Watts is “the go-to student publication for music on campus at Syracuse,” said Hannah Malach, a senior magazine journalism major and editor-in-chief of the magazine. The publication, both online and through a semesterly print edition, covers everything from general music news to the student music scene. Web and print staff are divided respectively, allowing students to choose the type of media they want to participate in. There are no requirements to join.

“We’ll hire anyone with a passion for music,” Malach said.

Writers at the magazine, she said, have “the opportunity to obtain press passes for shows at The Westcott, or Juice Jam to cover those events.”

Syracuse University Symphony Orchestra

The Syracuse University Symphony Orchestra is a full orchestra at the university, admitting students of all academic disciplines. Within the orchestra, students can pick from their choice of woodwind, brass, piano and percussion in an orchestra setting. To join the ensemble, students must audition on their respective instrument and play a variety of pieces.

Noah Goldmann, a sophomore mathematics major and cellist in the orchestra, said newcomers shouldn’t stress over the audition process.

“I think that being forced to audition scares people away, but it’s a really relaxed atmosphere,” he said. “The worst thing that can happen is you don’t make it, and you can audition again next year.”

If accepted, students enroll in a one-credit rehearsal class, which meets three times a week. The classes prepare for the four performances throughout the school year: two in the fall and two in the spring.

The current conductor, associate professor James Tapia, dubbed the orchestra “one of the premier youth orchestras in the US.”

This year, the orchestra will take part in a multimedia performance in October, which includes a live performance of the score for the movie “Frankenstein.”