Syracuse’s Howard Washington out against Georgia Tech with right leg injury

Codie Yan | Staff Photographer

Washington's injury now leaves Syracuse with only two guards who have played more than three minutes this season.

Syracuse freshman point guard Howard Washington is out for Wednesday’s game at Georgia Tech with a right leg injury, SU Athletics confirmed to The Daily Orange Tuesday.

“He is still being evaluated,” a team spokesman said.

Washington was injured at practice on Monday. While running during a drill, he fell and laid on the ground for more than five minutes, a team source told The Daily Orange.

On Tuesday, Washington left the trainer’s room during practice on crutches with a large brace on his right leg.

Junior transfer guard Braedon Bayer has been told he’ll likely play some minutes against Georgia Tech, a source told The Daily Orange. Bayer, who received a scholarship earlier this season after Geno Thorpe quit, came from Division III Grinnell College and has played three minutes this season.

Losing Washington is a big blow to a Syracuse team that cannot afford one. This stretch of the season — at GT, home against Virginia and at Louisville — is one of the most crucial for Syracuse because it offers a chance to pick up the road wins it lacked in being left out of the NCAA Tournament last season. The team is now down to two guards who have played more than three minutes this season.